Monday, January 4, 2010

Overslept?

I doubt I'm the only person who has ever woken up to notice that it is light out [or dark] and panicked--thinking they've overslept some important event. Well, so between Monday and Tuesday my schedule was/is as follows: 6:30am-noon (then do a decent list of managerial duties) and 6-9:30 and then opening again on Tuesday morning. Well, I was taking an afternoon nap earlier today, Monday, and was awoken by the sound of someone saying "OH MY GOD". Shell definitively stated that not only had she not said anything, but she also didn't have the TV on so there was no one talking in our apartment. Well, apparently in my waking stupor I deduced that it was 9am on Tuesday morning. I have no idea how I reached this conclusion but I was dead set that not only had I slept through our night shift but we had overslept and had not been there to open the store! I leaped (literally) from the bed onto my feet, probably giving poor Elsey a heart attack. Moving forward I swung open the bedroom door and went barreling through the kitchen screaming. When I finally reached the living room in my deliriousness I began screaming about how we were late for work and it was 9am in utter terror.

I think I may have given Shell a heart attack too because she just stared at me in utter shock.

"Lindsey, It's 4:25pm on Monday"

"Oh."

I seriously think that my heart was about to burst from my chest at any moment I was so worked up. I have no idea why I thought it was 9am. But, this isn't the first time that a sound (from inside or outside the apartment) has aroused me from sleep causing a confusing and random reaction...

When Shell and I first moved into our apartment in June (2009) our side of the street had a very prominent sign that read "No parking between 7am-10am, 4pm-6pm Monday Through Friday". If you live in Baltimore City you are familiar with these signs. If you live in Mount Vernon you are probably familiar with the tow trucks and police cars that come slithering to the areas with these signs at 6:58 an 3:58 waiting to pray on the cars. Well, being that we had just moved in and were officially "apartment poor", I was very worried about waking up too late and my car getting towed.

We have several alarm clocks because I am IMPOSSIBLE to wake up. Well, we have one that we lovingly have named "Clocky". Clocky was introduced into our alarm clock family because we were sure that this was the alarm clock that I couldn't ignore. When the alarm goes off, the clocks wheels (yes, I said wheels) begin to spin and the alarm clock falls from whatever surfaced it is perched on (up to three feet safely!) and begins to roll on the floor below searching for a "hiding spot". All the while producing a very, very loud alarm.

Well, on this lovely June day, after Clocky went off-I did indeed get out of bed. And a little more...

As the alarm sounded I sprang out of bed and ran to a spot across from the room (with my eyes wide open) and began to strip my clothes off while screaming. Once in my birthday suit I began to run in circles. After a moment or two I noticed what I was doing and was both completely confused and dizzy.

Good news was that it was 6am and therefore my car wasn't towed...and I got a bit of morning exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment