Friday, January 1, 2010

A little back story

So just to get the ball rolling, let's get into a little back story so you know what ride you've signed up for.

So up until about a month ago I did not know that my "wanderings" were nothing more than a bit of good 'ole sleep walking. Some quack-pot therapist had been rattling on about how this all had something do with some type of childhood catastrophe.

I was originally trailing along with this cute theory but there are some glaring flaws in this "diagnosis"...

1. I only do these strange things when I have been sleeping (and I have no recollection of them when I awake)

2. The frequency to which my "episodes" occured increased when I moved out of my parent's house ( a la major life stressor)

3.A psychiatrist definatively stated that this was either sleeping walking or drug use. Being that the only substance I abuse is a blended maragrita once every three months or so, we can pretty rule out a drug issue.

The sleep study is pending (I need to see my primary physician and fill her in on the fun).

Now since you've stuck in through some of the not-so-interesting banter, let's get to the fun stuff--the weird things I do in my sleep! The quack I was seeing, which is the nicest way I'll be referring to her, suggested that I kept a sleep journal so I have a dated list with some of the sleep shannigans. But since noone buys the cow if you give out the milk for free I'm only going to tell you a few (for now). The rest I'll sprinkle in later (with dates).


I don't have my "sleep journal" with me at the moment and the dates on these are a little blurry, but here we go!

So, my geriatric cat (Elsey) really loves her wet food. Being that I'm a vegetarian I am normally not the one to feed her. However, I am the person to go fleeing from the kitchen when the container is opened while gagging. However, one lovely night this scenario was quite different. In my sleep, I went reached into Elsey's case of wet cat food and removed a container. Apparently in my sleep I decided that it needed to be warmed. This is the only logical conclusion I could form because how else could I explained the following: waking up around 5:30am, going into the kitchen. Something in the kitchen looked different--the oven light was on! Before I switched the light off, I noticed there was something inside...an open container of cat wet food, on a baking sheet. I suppose this isn't the worst thing that could have happened. The night before there was an empty container on the kitchen floor when Shell and I woke up. There was a bit of confusion to who emptied the container--Elsey or me I'm just glad that the oven wasn't on. Afterall, nothing says good morning like the smell of roasting "ocean white fish with REAL gravy!"

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment